Translate

dimanche 3 mai 2015

In English - Agatha Christie- Murder on the Orient-Express

   I owe an apology to the English-speaking people who still follow me (if there are still English-speaking people who follow this blog...). It has been a while since I haven't posted anything in English. So I am back with a classic by Agatha Christie.

Title: Murder on the Orient-Express
Author: Agatha Christie
Genre: Crime novel
Year: 1934
Country: United Kingdom

Summary
    The great Belgian detective Hercule Poirot, staying in Instanbul, has to go back to London quickly. He therefore takes the famous and luxurious Orient-Express with his friend M.Bouc, who works at the Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits. One night, the train gets held up in the snow, and this night, an American, Mr. Ratchett, is stabbed. The murderer has to be one of the passengers. Poirot wants to solve the case. He soon finds some clues and hears of a young lady with a red silk dressing-gown. Some contradictions appear that make the case more and more complicated and Poirot has to use the power of his little grey cells...

My opinion
    I have read a lot of Agatha Christie's novels, and since this one is one of her most famous crime novels, I thought it was time for me to read it.
    I found what I like in crime novels in general: a tricky mystery, and a surprising solution. Of course the solution seems obvious when Poirot explains everything, and I guess this is why Agatha Christie truly deserves her nickname "the Queen of Crime". This is why this book is fascinating; you can't put it down.
   But what I like the most in Agatha Christie's novel is the humour and the self-mockery towards the English. She is exceptionally talented for sketching characters in a very funny way. Or at least, you will find it funny and amusing if you like British humour.
   This is why I can say I liked this novel, but it won't supplant in my heart the genuine Destination unknown and Endless Night.

To conclude
   4/5, a admirable crime novel filled with humour

   By the way, I created a Facebook page for the blog, so make sure to like it !!!
   There is a strong probability that the next article is about Thérèse Raquin by Zola.
   Once again, please forgive the mistakes I have surely made, and feel free to correct me in the comments down below.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire