Translate

jeudi 23 octobre 2014

In English - Eoin Colfer - Warp book 1

   Since I am now on holidays, I have a little more time to read... Here is a book I have just finished.

Title: WARP book 1
Subtitle: The reluctant Assassin
Author: Eoin Colfer
Genre: fantasy, adventure
Year: 2013
Country: Ireland

Summary
   Rieley is a fourteen-year old Victorian teenager who lives in London. He is an orphan and lives with Albert Garrick, an assassin who used to be a magician and wants Riley to be his assistant. Riley's life goes upside down when he is accidentally transported to the 21th century. He meets there Chevron Savano, the youngest FBI agent, who tells him she belongs to the WARP (Witness Anonymous Protection Programm). This federal programm sends witnesses back in time to protect them. Riley went to our time because of a fail of this programm. But the problem is that Garrick wants to get back Riley, and he soon manages to go to the 21th century to chase both Riley and Chevron, who decided to protect him. They will travel in time several times to escape him and save their lives.

My opinion
    First of all, I have to confess Eoin Colfer is one of my favorite authors. I read both the Artemis Fowl series and Airman, and I loved them. This is why I wanted to read his new series.
    Just like as in the Artemis Fowl series, the characters are awesome. The Victorian orphan is the real thing and is so, so cute... Garrick is chilling, a terrifying assassin. Chevie Savano made me think of Artemis Fowl because of her insolence and boldness, though she is more human than him. One more time, the characters are the good point in Eoin Colfer's novels.
    But good characters you get to love are not enough to consider this book as really good. The plot is important too. And... I personnally think it was unclear and difficult to understand. I didn't understand the FBI's motivations to make witnesses travel in time to protect them. To my mind, such a decision is much riskier than protecting them in our time. Since this is the basis of the plot, you will undestand why it didn't convince me.
   Last but not least, as far as the writing is concerned, I didn't find in this novel the humor I loved in the AF series or in Airman. The whole book isn't really funny, and I thought Eoin Colfer's writing lost a bit of its originality.
   This is why I didn't fall in love with this book the same way I did with other Eoin Colfer novels. Globally speaking, I was not really filled in enthusiasm when I finished this novel... 

To conclude
   3/5, wonderful characters but unconvincing plot

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire