Translate

dimanche 11 mai 2014

In English - R.J. Palaccio - Wonder

   Here is a new article about a book I borrowed almost at random...

Title: Wonder
Author: R.J. Palaccio
Genre: Novel
Country: USA

Summary
   August is quite a special child. He has a genetically-transmitted disease that makes his face look deformed. He thinks that he is ugly, and every other child who sees him runs away, screaming. Even grown-ups are surprised. This is why he never went to school. But one day, his parents dcide to let him go to middle-school, because he cannot live all alone anymore. So he goes to Beecher Prep School. Unfortunately it is very hard for him. Nobody wants to sit next to him, or talk with him, or even touch him, except a boy whose name is Jack Will, and Summer, a really nice girl. He has to face bullying.

My opinion
   By reading the summary of the book, you could think it is really sad and depressing. But it is not at all like this. It let you go into the world of childhood, that can be really cruel, but has a kind of freshness. The thing is, most of the kids are mean, but they do not really mean it,and cannot help it, they are,in a certain way, innocent. There is a duality in these children.
   Second, the story is told by several children, such as August, his sister Via, his friends Jack and Summer... It is very interesting to have children's point of view, they regard things and social relationships in such a different way from grown-ups ! I really found August was so cute, and I enjoyed a lot these children's stories. Moreover the book is not sad nor sanctimonious; and the end is charming.
   The chapters are short so the book is easy to read. And I did not have trouble understanding, the English is easy to understand. Nevertheless, the only thing that bothered me is that one chapter iswritten without any capital letter. I wonder why (excuse me, that was a really bad pun...).
   I adored this book so much that I have already ordered it on Amazon.

To conclude
   5/5, amazing

I hope I have not made too many mistakes... I am currently reading The Magic Skin by Balzac (La Peau de Chagrin).




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire